2020’s Most Exciting Retro Tech!
Join me as I discuss some of my most anticipated retro consoles and experiences coming in 2020!
Turbo Grafx / PC Engine Mini
Ultra Retron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PRbKGuIC_w
Turbo Grafx: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC9pnoqdUvA
Polymega 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pucot56iRiw&t=2s
I’m always on the lookout for new ways to play and enjoy retro games on modern hardware, as well as having new experiences inspired by the past.
Here’s 5 things I’m looking forward to this year.
– Analogue Pocket
– As I’m sure you all know by now, I’m a huge fan of the original gameboy. I’ve got many game boys, some modded ones, some originals, many ways to play on the TV, so why is the analogue pocket still something I want? No, NEED???
From the moment they announced it on twitter, I knew this was something I had to preorder as soon as possible. Analogue has a fantastic reputation within the retro community thanks to it’s amazing build quality and the use of FPGA rather than emulation, which makes for a much more faithful gaming experience.
The Analogue pocket really does look like the ultimate way to play gameboy games! The more I saw of it and read into it, the more excited I got! I remember having a huge grin on my face while reading about it, if no one was around I’m sure I would have been jumping for joy! It’s something I’ve wanted for years.
Like I mentioned, it used an FPGA core, and is compatible out of the box with Gameboy, Gameboy Colow and even Gameboy Advance games, and they will be releasing cartridge adaptors for other handhelds too.
– Two FPGA’s so developers can add extra console support
– Will also be releasing a dock for playing on the TV
– Looks really nice, with a very high resolution screen and rechargeable battery.
– No release date yet but you can enter your email on their site to be registered for notification when it’s released
– I’ll definitely be doing a full review and guide on the system when it’s released so please look forward to that!
– I love having easy ways to play my game collection on my 4K TV, the Retrofreak was the perfect solution for cart based games, and I still use it all the time for that, but when it comes to CD based retro consoles, I never had a reliable way of playing them on the big screen… Finally it seems like something has come along to solve that problem! It’s been a long time coming, and had it’s fair share of controversy along the way, but 2020 seems like we’re finally going to be getting our hands on the Polymega!
– The first modern retro console that can play CD games. It even will be able to play Saturn games!
– Can buy separate add ons for other consoles
– possibility of FPGA in the future? – they keep going back and forth with the idea…
Just like the analogue pocket, it doesn’t have a definitive release date yet, but you can sign up for a mailing list. I don’t think I’m going to get any f the add on systems, but I’m definitely looking forward to being able to back up and play my retro CD based consoles and have easy access to them all
Hopefully it will play nicely with my capture card then I can bring some CD retro games to the channel in the future!
– N64 From Hyperkin? (Ultra Retron)
– The one cart based console that I don’t have a HDMI solution for yet though is the N64. It’s got notoriously bad picture quality, but the emulation scene has created many different filters and scaling options which should he
– First N64 clone console. Uses N64 emulation
– No news since E3 last year?
– Turbo Grafx Mini
– One of my favourite systems
– The only thing on my list with a definitive release date
– Coming out while i’m in japan so will be something to look forward to when I’m back
– Play date
– Very interesting looking and held with a crank?
– Will hopefully have a lot of unique games
– I’ve signed up to be a developer and it might be the thing that gets me back into gamedev
– No official release date yet
– Interesting game release schedule, one new game a week for 12 weeks – will keep me returning to the system over that time
– Will me doing videos on my thoughts about the games each week!
If you enjoyed this episode, please consider supporting the show on Ko-Fi or pledging on Patreon using the links below:
Follow me on social media:
Tweets by RetroBreakGames
Camera: Sony a6400 / iPhone XS Max / Osmo Pocket
All videos are now in 4K, so make sure to check your video quality settings!
#RetroBreak #RetroGaming #Gamersunite